Free training courses for local community groups have been developed to help them deliver sessions to their participants to increase physical activity levels and healthy eating behaviours.
Covering physical activity and healthy eating followed by a mentoring programme to build capacity for those organisations.
GCDA will provide support to those community groups to deliver these sessions to their participants.
For volunteers working within those community groups, to provide them with the skills to support the delivery of healthy eating and/or physical activities within community settings/groups.
1-day Community Development Course
For any individuals interested in developing communities or groups looking for ways to raise funds and generate income.
Be Inspired Community Groups Network
A network that brings together the many community groups that are active in Lewisham supporting healthy eating and promoting physical activity.
We hope that this group will focus on building community knowledge, skills, and resources relevant to food, healthy eating, and physical activity.
- Collate activity & facilitate mapping of all physical activity and healthy eating programmes across Lewisham to provide mutual understanding.
- Support promotion of these activities to the residents of Lewisham via existing and new social media routes
- Share experience, develop learning and best practice
- Isolate the training and development needs of community organisations delivering programmes and source resources to respond to this
- Determine opportunities for joint working and developing new areas of work
- Identify and engage wider partners that would support the work
Please contact email@example.com for more information
Lewisham Healthy Walks
The Lewisham Healthy Walks programme comprises both health walks and Nordic walks, aimed at Lewisham residents who are less active.
Lewisham Health walks are led by trained volunteer walk leaders. The walks are 30-90 minutes long. They range from a short walk in a park to longer explorations of the local Lewisham area and beyond. We end with a cup of tea where possible.
Lewisham Nordic walks are perfect for those who want to get a bit more active! It is simple to learn and our programmes start with 4 sessions to learn the technique with an instructor. You can then join progression sessions and volunteer-led groups. There is no charge for the sessions and equipment is provided. Click here for more info on Nordic walks.
FREE 4-week ‘Easy, Quick and Tasty’ community Lewisham cookery clubs
By preparing quick, affordable, healthy and delicious meals at our 4-week Lewisham cookery clubs, you can learn that small changes to the way meals are prepared can make a big difference to your health and wellbeing.
Everyone is welcome, from complete beginners to experienced cooks and participants receive a FREE cookery book on completion of the course.
* The cookery clubs, run a weekly practical session, where participants take part in preparing a selection of recipes and are shown how to make small changes to way meals are prepared to support healthy eating.
* Participants have the opportunity to visit a local community garden to find out more about food growing and other related benefits and opportunities after the five weeks.
Cookery clubs will run from various locations across the borough and will be advertised through community networks, Lewisham life and social media.
Healthy Catering Commitments (HCC)
Healthier Catering Commitment is a voluntary scheme for food outlets in London based on the principle that small changes can make a big difference. The scheme runs across 27 boroughs in London and is in operation in the borough of Lewisham since November 2016. The scheme is usually delivered in partnership by environmental health, public health teams and third sector partners.
What is the Healthier Catering Commitment scheme
The free scheme is designed to support independent fast food or café businesses to help them make simple and affordable changes to the food they sell to make it healthier for you.
When a food business signs up to the scheme, it commits to improving the food they sell by making small changes such as:
- Changing the oil, they cook with to healthier alternatives
- Heating oil to correct temperature and regularly replacing used cooking oil with fresh cooking oil. This can help chips, and other fried foods soak up less fat during the cooking process
- Offering some healthy options (for example, lower sugar drinks and snacks); and
- Making smaller portions available on request.
All the participating fast food and café businesses are assessed by GCDA and, are supported to successfully achieve the award.
How can I tell which fast food business is participating in this scheme?
Food businesses who adopt the scheme display the Healthier Catering Commitment certificate with the logo below on their business windows, doors or walls. So lookout for the Healthier Catering Commitment when you are next visiting a food outlet or café in your area.
Where should I go to find out more about the Healthier Catering Commitment scheme?
If you are a fast-food or café business in the borough of Lewisham and are interested in finding out more about the scheme, and how to apply for this award, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0208 269 4887
Are you a local resident and want to find out more about this scheme or nominate a food business who you think could be eligible for the scheme please contact email@example.com or call 0208 269 4887
Lewisham Free Vitamin D Scheme for pregnant women, new mums and babies and children under four years old
Did you know that if you are pregnant, a new mum or have children under four, you can register for your free vitamins at most community pharmacies across the borough When you register, you will receive a free vitamin D card.
Where to get your free Vitamin D supplements
If you are a local resident, your midwife or health visitor in Lewisham can provide you with more information about the free D scheme in Lewisham
And for more information on why vitamin D is important for you and your child, please click on and visit the Lewisham Council website
You can also email Livia@gcda.org.uk with your questions about the free D scheme in Lewisham
Mapping the physical activity and healthy eating programmes across Lewisham to support access and help referral
GCDA has been undergoing a mapping exercise. We will aim to keep this as up to date and thorough as possible. Please email Gary@gcda.org.uk with any information you have about activities that we have missed.
Please enlarge the map for more information.