GCDA is proud to be taking part in an exciting national campaign to encourage everyone to eat more veg.
Each week for the next 10 weeks we’ll be featuring a different tasty vegetable for you to try. Check out our videos click here, have a go at our recipes and read our top tips for new ways with veg.
Share your stories in the comments section at the bottom of the page and spread the word via social media.
FUN WITH FOOD VEGGIE FRITTERS
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- A handful of red peppers, finely chopped, gently fried
- A handful of grated carrot, steamed
- Handful of spinach
- Grated parsnip, peas, chopped spring onions
- Different cheeses, grated or crumbled
- Fresh or dried herbs
- Make a batter by whisking together the egg and flour
- Prepare your chosen vegetable
- Stir the vegetable into the batter along with any herbs or cheese of your choice
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add a spoonful of the vegetable batter and gently spread to create a little circular fritter about 6cm across. Cook on medium heat, turning after a few minutes to cook on the other side until both sides are golden and the fritter is cooked through.
- The fritters are delicious eater warm or cold and can easily be reheated
Our Top Tips for Peppers
- Preserve peppers for longer by cutting into strips and roasting then storing covered in olive oil in a sterilised jar
- Stuff your peppers with some leftover rice mixed with a couple of dollops of pesto and some olives and bake for 20 minutes