GCDA is proud to be taking part in an exciting national campaign to encourage everyone to eat more veg.
Each week for the next 10 weeks we’ll be featuring a different tasty vegetable for you to try. Check out our videos click here, have a go at our recipes and read our top tips for new ways with veg.
Share your stories in the comments section at the bottom of the page and spread the word via social media.
#EatThemToDefeatThem #VegPower @gcdauk @VegPowerUK
Join the campaign – www.vegpower.org.uk/
KOFTELI BAZELYE (PEAS WITH MEATBALLS) – serves 4
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 900g peas
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 100ml hot water
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 225g lean minced beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp black pepper (to taste)
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Place all the ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Shape into small balls, cover and refrigerate
- Pre-heat oven to 200C / 180C fan / gas mark 6
- Put potatoes, peas and carrots in an oven proof dish add salt and mix
- Dissolve the tomato puree in the hot water. Place the meatballs on top of the vegetables and pour the tomato water over.
- Scatter the chopped tomatoes evenly over everything
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the meatballs and potatoes are cooked through
Our Top Pea Tips
- Defrost some peas and whizz them up with some natural yoghurt, mint, lemon juice, ground cumin and chilli for a delicious dip
- Add a sprig or two of mint to peas when cooking to liven them up
- Add some peas and seasoning to a thick pancake mix (omitting any sugar) and serve with a poached egg on top for brunch
Leave a Reply